Sunday, February 17

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings  


I love Amy Winehouse & Mark Ronson, and now I know why: Sharon Jones. Last year I caught about 3 minutes of an MTV news story on Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. I wanted to write about it then, but I couldn't remember her name! Only recently I had a conversation with Andrea who was listening to her on MySpace and it all came flooding back to me. Sharon Jones sort of created this new wave/soul/funk sound that Winehouse and Ronson gained notoriety from. Some try to juxtapose her to Amy Winehouse, but Amy ain't got shit on Sharon. Bludgeoned by the "industry standards" she was basically shunned, told she wouldn't sell because of her chocolate complexion, womanly curves, natural hair and strength. Her sound is funk up! I'm currently listening to her album "100 Days 100 Nights".


100 days, 100 Nights Video:

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



the movement.