Saturday, October 18

John Legend:Evolver  

"I think it's hard to find a general theme [for the album]. It's a lot of love and relationship songs, as people probably would expect from me. There's not an overarching lyrical theme that goes throughout. It's just a bunch of good songs, I think."
--John Legend, MTV








A bunch of good songs INDEED! John Legend's latest release is contemporary rhythm and blues at it's best. I learned aboutLegend five years ago when he opened for Kanye West at a concert (in Atlanta) the summer before I started college. I thought to myself "damn, he's good." He's an incredible performer, song writer, pianist, humanitarian, and artist. This is his best work to date.

"Good Morning" is "my favorite love song, I waited all night long." Haha... Legend enlisted help from his protege Estelle, Kanye West, and Brandy not to mention producers like Midi Mafia, Will.I.Am, Teddy Riley, KP, The Neptunes and Malay to name a few. On this album he explores different genres.
When I listen to it, I hear reggae, pop, blues, and soul. His first album was a sensation! It was sort of mixture of contemporary R&B and soul. His second album was laden with soulful piano driven tracks. This record is the opposite, it's more mid and up tempo with a pop appeal. I've come up with video treatments for most of the songs, which lets me know that pretty much all of them have the potential to be great singles. You're gonna love this record. Get on this when it drops.


What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments.: to “ John Legend:Evolver

the movement.