Tuesday, September 8

Man On The Moon: The End of Day  

Before I start I have a caveat/clarification. For the last year or so I've avoided a lot of hip hop records simply because as I get older the more I realize I'm not a huge fan of the genre in general. I've had come up with an operational definition of Hip Hop and I feel the need to compartmentalize different artist and put them in their own separate categories. I put Kid Cudi in my "Alternative Hip-Hop"compartment. So to clarify, I don't like Hip Hop overall, I feel there is a lot more bad than good, HOWEVER, Kid Cudi and other Hip Hop artist like him I appreciate and have nothing but admiration and respect for. Furthermore, since I'm not a fan of Hip Hop I can't (and won't) critique this record in terms of how "hard it goes" etc and so on. This review is all about his ingenuity and creativity as an artist.

This album's concept is based around the tales of young Scott. It's a narrative and it's divided into different acts. You're going to cream your shorts when this drops. Producers: Kid Cudi, Kanye West (exec.) Emile Haynie, Plain Pat (co-exec.) Ratatat, Dot da Genius, Jeff Bhasker, Free School, Crada, Illfonics

Photobucket
Act One: The End of Day
In My Dreams (Cuddler Anthem) – a mellow hip hop lullaby laden with cosmic sfx, strings and affirming lyrics. Near the end of the track Common begins (he narrates the entire record) “...being a leader in this day in age is being a threat not many people stood up against the system we all call life but toward the end of our first ten years in this millennium we heard a voice, a voice who was speaking to us from the underground for some time, a voice who spoke of vulnerabilities and other human emotions and issues never before heard so vividly and honest. This is the story of a young man who not only believed in himself but his dreams too, this is the story of the man on the moon.”

Soundtrack 2 My Life – an autobiographical rap ballad. Cudi emotes and reflects about his insecurities and emotional trauma. My favorite line is "But they all didn't see the little bit of sadness in me *chorus* I've got some issues that nobody can see and all of these emotions are pouring out of me I bring them to the light for you, it's only right, this is the soundtrack to my life, the soundtrack to my life..." This is a goodun'. Great flow. I REALLY like the production!

Simple As – The production is NICE! It reminded me of Gotye. This song is as simple as it sounds. The chorus is catchy. Near the end Common returns and leads us to the next act.

Act Two: Rise of the Night Terrors
Mr Solo Dolo (Nightmare) this one of those goes tracks that goes bump in the night. Cudi sings "Oh Oh Oh why must it feel so wrong when I try and do right, do right?Oh Oh Oh soaring through paradise when I'm closing my eyes ---I'm Mr. Solo Dolo". The lyrics explore loneliness (solo dolo is a eupehemism for a loner). In the end he asks "When will I ever learn from the words in my songs?" This is my kind of record deep and dark.

Heart of a Lion (Kid Cudi Theme Music) this one is upbeat. This track features the signature Cudi cadence that I initially didn't like. The song itself is ultimately an empowerment ballad. Something to wake up to. I like it but I don't love it.

My World (featuring Billy Cravens) Cudi tells some personal stories ranging from having low self esteem as a youth, being awkward with girls, and having shitty jobs. Ultimately beyond the bull he realized that the world is his. I like this one a lot, almost love it.
Photobucket
Act Three: Taking the Trip
Day 'N' Nite The smash hit single! I love this song.

Sky Might Fall
Produced by Kanye this one of the hottest songs on the record. The the production really reminds me of 808's but it has its own distinctions. I think his flow on this one is pretty hot on this one.

Enter Galactic (Love Connection Part I)
Another upbeat track. It's a love song, very danceable and high energy. It's kind of a transition, Cudi is emotional still but it's not sadness. He's intrigued by love. It's an electronica song in essence. I can hear it at the club.

Act Four: Stuck
Alive Ratatat produced this one. "Everytime the moon shines, I become alive." I really dig this song.

Cudi Zone
This song brought me to the realization that Cudi is a art kid at the end of the day. He likes layers, space, weed, a sex. This song is dope.

Maker Her Say (featuring Kanye West & Common – anybody and everybody can find SOMETHING they like about this one. It's like the perfect blend of artist and it's about oral sex. It's the second single, doing well on radio from what I hear. I'd see it live with Kanye, Common and Gaga!

Pursuit of Happiness (Nightmare) (featuring MGMT) my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.my favorite song on this album.

Act Five: A New Beginning
Hyyerr (featuring Chip Tha Ripper)
slow groove that pays homage to his green lover. I don't smoke but if I did I think this would be my rolling song.

Up Up & Away (The Wake and Bake Song) – a guitar driven uplifting song about the joys of life and marijuana. Mind you it's about getting high but he says something that I think is important in the chorus "I'll be up up & away, up up & away cuz they gone judge me anyway, so whatever...I'll be up up & away, up up & away cuz in the end they'll judge me anyway." I agree and I get it.
IT DROPS NEXT WEEK! It's a must have.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



the movement.