Wednesday, October 21

Where the Wild Things Are
{my thoughts}
 

Photobucket
This past weekend I went to Atlantic Station Regal Cinema to see "Where The Wild Things Are"
directed by Spike Jonze. I've been waiting for this film for months, literally. It's been something
I've really been looking forward to and I wasn't disappointed--but I was surprised. I don't want
to ruin the film for anyone planning to see it but it wasn't what I expected. It wasn't a "kids
movie" it was a movie about a kid. Max's character was dynamic and emotional. His struggles
both internally and inter personally are universal. As an adult watching it I found myself really
connecting with him. If you've the read the book you have a pretty good idea about the
movie--the script was fairly true to the original story. The movie is very cerebral. I spent a lot of
time thinking about the significance of the "Wild Things" and what they meant to the story. After
the film I came to the conclusion that each Wild Thing was a manifestation of Max's emotions.
KW seemed apathetic and she always wanted to run away, Carole was fear and rage rolled into
one, and the others all had a specific character traits that connected to some emotion that Max
felt at some point prior to his arrival on the island. Mind you that's my theory and if anyone
wants to grab a coffee and chat about yours I'm totally down for that, LOL. Visually this film was
incredible. Spike Jonze brought these gigantic creatures with faces on their mothers' could love
from the pages of the book to flesh and bone. I was amazed by their ability to move, jump, run,
and frolic. Not to mention their ability to emote; their large unique faces weren't stationary
masks, I could feel them acting. I really enjoyed the film. I'm looking forward to getting the DVD
and watching all the behind the scenes material. Check it out sometime this week, it's worth the
money.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



the movement.