Saturday, December 5

Graffiti [Album Review]  

Photobucket
"So yeah... Chris Brown... Yeah..."

I chose to withhold my comments on his whole "situation" officially thus no "Chri-Anna" posts.
I honestly thought that releasing an album so soon after his "situation" was career suicide.
The jury is still out on that. All media madness aside, this record is his best.

You can say what you will about his choices but his talent is undeniable.
He can sing, dance and WRITE songs.


The first single "I Can Transform Ya" (produced by the enigmatic super producer Swiss
Beats) is a pulse pounding, high energy dance hit. I didn't like it at all when I first heard it.
I think that was solely based on the fact that I didn't think Chris Brown should've released a
single. All that aside, after a few days I started listening to it in secret. The beat is sick and it's
a hot song. Then I saw the video which was a pretty decent clip (I don't like plain white sets).

So cut to a few weeks later and I get my grubby little fingers on an this album.
If I did a track by track analysis I feel like I'd repeat myself a bit much so I'll
only highlight the songs that I REALLY like, because I like them all for the most part.

"Crawl" is the second single (I'm assuming). Its a nice ballad. One could argue it
references a potential reconciliation between him and his famous ex-girlfriend.
He sings well, it's arranged well with poignant lyrics. "So Cold" a mid-tempo-
post-break-up-ballad. Again, it's probably about you know who but I don't really
care because it's a really beautiful song. "What I Do" is a hype club banger featuring
Plies, it's all about financial excess and being cocky about it. It's the trend so I expected it.
The track is crazy! The chorus is catchy (I think it has a lot to do with the layered vocals).
Plies' rap could've been omitted, honestly (it doesn't make or break the song).
"Famous" produced by [chaseology.com favorite] Ryan Leslie. It's my favorite track.
The lyrics are clever, referencing other artists recent hits. It's a definite "read".
I think that's why I love it so much. "I.Y.A." has an international pop sound, I.Y.A.
(In Your Arms) is a love song for the dancefloor. I like to hear him on tracks like this,
I enjoy when he ventures off from an exlusively urban sound. "Pass Out" features
international pop singer Eva Simons (some called her a combination Lady Gage +
Rihanna, I don't know enough about her music to make that assertion)
. This song is
very electro-dance-pop. I like it because it stands out. "Lucky Me" is about the duality
of fame, it's like his version of the Britney Spears song with the similar title. It's one of
those artist songs, it reflects their internal struggles so fans see them as human, LOL.
"Fallin Down" it about the price of his celebrity, the way he sings the first verse makes
me think he was channeling Michael Jackson (it's all in the cadence), you'll see what I mean.
I'm in love with the track itself, it was produced by Charlie Bereal, I'll be looking him up.
"I'll Go" another ballad, it transitions back and forth from piano to guitar. It's sweet.
I'm not done, the bonus tracks are dope too. "Chase Our Love" is my favorite of all the
bonus tracks, and NOT just because my name is in the title. "I Love U" produced by
Polow Da Don, featuring Esther Dean is hot and "For Ur Love" is also a must listen.

Grafitti is a superb record. I support his work he produces quality material.
I give this an A-

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments.: to “ Graffiti [Album Review]

the movement.