Wednesday, November 19

Britney's Circus.  

Britney's 6th studio album wll be in stores December 2nd. Here are my notes:

Womanizer – My initial reaction to this song was “I don’t get?” I thought the production was flawless but lyrically!? Lyrically, it was too simplistic, the hook was ridiculously repetitive and it irked me. Vocally it was standard. She sounds like Britney and I may be totally alone when I say this but I enjoy her voice. She doesn’t belt but she doesn’t quite croon. Her vocal capacity is limited but what makes her stand out is how she works with it. The video was directed by Joseph Kahn. I thought his vision was sleek and sexy and he executed it with style. Still, it reminded me of “Toxic.”


Circus – Hard beats and thick production give this one club appeal. It’s not my favorite. I don’t hate but I don’t love it. I can listen to it though, it will probably grow on me.

Out From Under – Sure, they are slightly breathy and nasal but I still love Britney ballads. This song sounds (and by sounds I mean the music not the vocals) similar to a Kelly Clarkson. It has Federline undertones.

Kill The Lights – “If ya feeling froggy leap.” Best damn line ever, I never thought I’d hear that in song. This aggressive dance track is one of my favorites. It has that “It’s Britney Bitch” attitude.

Shattered Glass – A high energy dance track that basically says “you cheated on my and karma is gonna kick you in the dick first chance it gets.” This song contains possible Federline undertones, not sure though.

If You Seek Amy – I feel like this song will be hit. It has that “Gimme More” potential but I don’t want it to be. It’s cool, I like the breakdown and that nostalgic “Ohh Baby,Baby” lyrics, but it doesn’t move me. It was produced by Max Martin famed for writing the song that launched her career. I’m torn, it has commercial appeal but there is something about it that I can’t cosign.

Unusual You – I love this one. I have a dope Bjork video concept. It would be insane.

Blur – A splash of hip-hop and R&B breaks the pattern here. This one is a jam. Sounds like the song you play as you clean your apartment after a crazy night. You find clues, cups, napkins, underwear, and earrings but “everything is still a blur.” Danja put his hands on this one.

Mmm Papi – Not a fan.

Mannequin – A burst of electro-dance-shake-pump-jiggle-shimmy-shake. This one’s a hit. A full frontal dance song. No holds barred just pure energy.

Lace & Leather – Funky as fuck. It has a Vanity 6 sex appeal. Favorite line from this album is “French finger tips, red lips, bitch is dangerous. When I listen to this one I see nude women rolling around stacks of melting fluorescent keytars.

My Baby – A slow one dedicated to her little ones. *tear*. I don’t like it but I can appreciate the sentiment behind it. I mean I can’t really relate—I don’t have kids.

Rock Me In – This is another that I’m not too keen on. It’s a little too Euro-Pop for me.

Phonography – About phone sex, “below the waste” pictures, erotic text, and inappropriate antenna placement. It’s a sexy song. Thematically similar to Beyonce’s “Video Phone” but I feel this one captured the sluttacious aura of a naughty cell phone beautifully.

Amnesia – I can dig it.

Radar – I’m not sure why this song was on the album. If I’m not mistaken, it was on Blackout. Am I wrong? Speaking of Blackout, I think I like it better.

This album is one of her better records. I mean I hate several songs, but it’s not because I think they are poorly constructed, they are just not my taste. I think Britney is poised to make an amazing comeback and I hope she finds some peace. I appreciate the variety of producers, writers and inspirations on this record. She worked with old favorites like Bloodshy & Avant, Max Martin, and Danja while spicing it up by throwing in people like Lady Gaga in the mix. It’s a collective effort and a good record. I give it a B.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments.: to “ Britney's Circus.

the movement.